It has got to be my fault....

Hello. This week has been a series of unfortunate events. From a sprained ankle while training for the Ath Half, to blood sugars that have hung out in the 300's, I'm at the, as Jacob would say, "What in the world?!" phase. My blood sugars have been high without eating or bolusing absurd amounts of insulin with meals. I went a solid 2-3 days thinking:

-Maybe your insets are not long enough for your growing mid-section
-Maybe it is your hormones
-Maybe it is because of your ankle sprain and your current immobility
-Maybe your insulin needs are changing

If you notice a common trend these high blood sugars must be MY fault. I am not alone in this. My diabuddies do the very same thing. Of course our high blood sugars are our fault, why wouldn't they be? Hell, we stood the wrong way for a solid 2 seconds so that has to be why our blood sugars are high. WRONG.

Y'all after all this, you know what was wrong? My insulin was bad....a whole dang bottle of insulin. It wasn't cloudy and it was pretty much new, but something happened to make it a bad batch. I hadn't traveled with it, I followed all the instructions on the proper storage, but for whatever reason it wasn't working properly. It was not my fault.

I'm currently reading the book, "The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F" and let me tell you, it is almost like an anti-self help book. I really kind of love it. The author does drop enough f bombs to make even the most seasoned potty mouth blush, BUT amongst all the cussing, he has some good points. Ironically, I just read a section talking about when things are not your fault, and this quote hit me in the gut:

"We don't always control what happens to us. But we always control how we interpret what happens to us, as well as how we respond."

Well hot damn. This will forever change how I interpret diabetes from now on. There are so many aspects of diabetes that are not in my control, but my control freak self can decide how to respond. So next time, I'm not going to self destruct in the deep dark depths of "these high blood sugars are MY fault" and rather activate the deductive reasoning of possible reasons. I mean sometimes it is my fault, flash back to The Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Incident  and I'm gonna own that one. However, nine times out of ten, it is some sort of equipment error. So to my fellow diabuddies be kind to yourself, it more than likely isn't your fault, sometimes we are just in the cross fires of circumstance but what we can do is respond differently.

So someone aka Osman, remind me of this whenever I'm high (meaning my blood sugar is elevated) and I'm wallowing in "this is my fault" remind me to take it 1 Drop at a Time and realize that equipment and insulin can have bad days, too.

PS check out  my almost normal ankle! R.I.C.E works!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of Chronic Illness

Diagnosis Day: 8/14/15

Pump Life