4 Year Diaversary!

How in the world has 4 years come and gone? I'd love to say I have this diabetes game figured out but each day is a new and exciting experience. Please sense the sarcasm. I remember August 14, 2015. I was this tiny, little half of myself, literally, my body was eating itself and I was scared and felt like crap. All the questions of what life was going to be like were swirling around in my head and my poor brain didn't have the energy it needed to process them. Fortunately for me, I never went into DKA (Diabetic Ketoacidosis), if you can remember, I tested positive for the type 1 antibodies after Jacob was born and was what they call, "honeymooning" for a few months. Honeymooning basically means my pancreas was still making insulin but eventually would stop. So fast forward to August 14, 2015 and my pancreas was crapping out. I got started on insulin and slowly but surely my life with type 1 began.

Being diagnosed with a chronic illness that has no cure, is strange. There aren't any wars to conquer, just battles every single day. I don't say this for sympathy or from a place of pity, it is just the honest truth. I quickly learned that those little battles can ruin my day real fast if I let them, so I try my best to not let that happen. Although, ask Osman and Jacob about last Sunday and I'm sure they would say otherwise.  My blood sugar was high for no reason and I was so cranky even Jacob told me "Mama, you are making poor choices because you are being cranky". It is incredible once my blood sugar gets back in range it is as though a cloud lifts and I'm myself again. Thankfully, my boys are great and let me have my moments.

I will never be an expert on this chronic illness, but I vow to be a life long learner. There is so much to learn of and from diabetes. So I'll take it 1 Drop at a Time while trying to not be a total cranky pants when my blood sugar is high. So below is my - not so humble brag - lists of 4 (in honor of my 4 year diaversary) every day things I thought I would never do again but I relearned how to do with diabetes!


-Swimming- I either put my pump in a water tight bag and clip it to my suit or I bolus and take it off for awhile.
-Traveling- TSA ain't got nothing on me. If I'm not traveling with Jacob and don't have the luxury of walking through the metal detector with him, I mentally prepare myself for the 2nd base feel up provided by a lovely TSA employee. Nothing like being spread eagle for all to see in the middle of the airport. Oh yes, you can get a private screening but that takes more time and 9 times out of 10 they don't let you get your stuff  and it just sits there on the conveyor belt asking to be taken. I always giggle whenever they suggest I try the TSA-Pre or whatever it is. I just want to be like, yeah sure let me pay MORE money thanks to my chronic illness. Whew, sorry y'all got caught up in my feelings about travel. I will say I have successfully navigated the ATL airport with Jacob, a stroller, luggage, car seat and backpack all by myself.  Hear me roar!
-Being alone- A little strange, I know, but thanks to my dexcom, I'm not afraid to drive by myself or go shopping alone or just be alone period. This was so freeing.
-Exercise- This is still a work in progress, but at least I GO. I still get that pit of anxiety when I'm at the gym but I've talked to the front desk and they have it on file that I have type 1 and the location of all my type 1 goodies.


So if you are still with me, I wanted to say thank you. Thank you for giving me a place to figure out life and put all my ramblings into words. Your comments of encouragement mean the world. Thanks for taking it 1 Drop at a Time for 4 years now. I couldn't do it without you! Here is a picture of Jacob and me. I'm so thankful for this little boy that saved my life. He is getting so big!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of Chronic Illness

Diagnosis Day: 8/14/15

Pump Life