Cussing Ahead....

I never thought getting an order of diabetes supplies would make me tear up. Then again, going to the pharmacy used to make me bawl my eyes out and I made Osman get my insulin for a few months because it depressed the crap out of me. Oh how far I've come.

Monday was a shit day.  I'll be honest, I've been avoiding doing anything diabetes related for the past couple of months, but supplies don't last forever. Between no AC and finding out that the current company I used for my diabetes supplies does not accept my new insurance, made me pretty cranky. In the back of my mind, I knew I just needed to call my insurance company and ask for a list of approved suppliers but who wants to do that? All it does is once again solidify the fact that I have this disease and it ain't going away and I probably wasted a solid 1 1/2 - 2 hours on the phone.

So here is where I got super pissed. My old insurance allowed me to use the pharmacy portion of the plan so all we had to pay was the co-pay for my supplies. Well now with my new insurance, I have to go through the medical portion of the insurance which translated means, I'm going to have to pay a crap ton more for the very same supplies I've used in the past. It sucks. Our premium isn't much different in price either. It is just the way the plan is structured. Not to mention, I still need a prescription for the supplies.  Of course someone from the insurance will say "oh that is durable medical equipment, we don't cover that under the pharmacy side." Really, Karen? (no offense if your name is Karen) That is BS because I still need a prescription to get these said supplies.  It makes me so mad. However, once I can crawl out of the pity party hole, I realize that I'm very fortunate for the resources I have, but still man, I am only a human. I'd rather spend those thousands of dollars on something else. Which brings me to my next neuron fire.

Has the whole damn universe forgotten that we are all human? I used to love watching the news, I don't anymore. I just get sad. Families are still getting separated and Americans are still shooting other Americans. Which then takes me down another rabbit hole related to insurance. I bet your bottom dollar these victims of mass shootings are going to have MASSIVE medical bills because we have a broken ass system that fuels itself on greed. It is so wrong! This is where people would say, contact your local senator, send emails. Yes that is good in all, but when you are on the phone for hours already and your poor kid has watched his 15 millionth episode of some Korean action show, the mom guilt kicks in and sitting on the phone trying to talk to a senator's office just doesn't quite compute.

So I'm just basically pissed. This is not one of my, "I can look on the bright side" posts or take it 1 Drop at a Time all zen-like. CHRONIC ILLNESS SUCKS and the way the United States does insurance is the most convoluted process ever. I won't even get on the soap box of how it affects students I used to take care of. I'll just see red and ramble even more. So apologies for the rant, but I feel better after angrily pecking this out on the keyboard. I feel like  I need to say, have a good weekend after all this....so have a great weekend folks, hug a neighbor and your family extra tight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of Chronic Illness

Diagnosis Day: 8/14/15

Pump Life