Finding Community

Hi all! I feel like this time of year, I always say, where did time go? The coming holidays make me nostalgic and feel almost bittersweet.  I miss so many people every day. Don't get me wrong though, I am grateful for people to miss. I keep coming into these daily moments that remind me why community is SO important. As you know, our family made a big move to the northeast and I have to say I'm so thankful for the community we have built in a short time. Delco has welcomed up with open arms. If you don't know what Delco means, it is hard to explain but I am proud to be a part of this community. Thank goodness for Face Time and texting as well because it helps me keep in touch with my Athens and Oklahoma communities. I don't know what I would do without them.

So where am I go with this post.....I'm rounding the corner to my first endocrinologist appointment. I'm already sweating about it. The process to be accepted as a patient was daunting. My previous endo had to write a recommendation letter, lots of paperwork had to be sent. It felt like applying to college all over again. Y'all, I would love to say my Type-A self has been managing my diabetes well, but I just haven't been. Ain't no way around that one. So I've been fretting and sweating and cussing and crying because I just don't want to go to the doctor. You know me and how I feel judged by the doc even if he/she is the least judgmental person.

Well today I was slugging through my run and it dawned on me, why not look at my endo as part of my community? Instead of trying to ignore the bad blood sugars, maybe see if they can help me figure out ways to overcome them. Doctors and nurses vow to take care of their patients. Why did I forget this notion?

So my plan is to compile all my questions, frustrations and successes and take them with me to this appointment. I am a human, not my chronic illness, lest I forget (I've always wanted an excuse to say that haha). So I'm going to continue to take it 1 Drop at a Time, reminding myself community is all around. Heck, as many of you know, my favorite word, and what I will one day get tattooed on my wrist (sorry mom) is Ubuntu -- I am because we are.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of Chronic Illness

Diagnosis Day: 8/14/15

Pump Life