That one time my blood sugar was low...

Wow, no posts since February. Life has been busy, blah blah. That's what everyone says, right? Spring time as a school nurse is always a little busy. We traveled home to Oklahoma. For Mother's Day we visited the Smokey Mountains. That is a gorgeous part of the country. While there, we enjoyed a trip to Dollywood. Jacob had a blast on the kiddie rides. It has been a fun few months. 

Things have also been a little comical. Low blood sugar is never comical, but it is when your husband is out of town. Especially when you leave your phone on silent. Sorry....

Osman was at a retreat in May. I went to bed, my blood sugar was 120, I had minimal insulin on board. Cool, I was fine. I didn't call Osman because I knew he was busy with retreat activities. Well around 1230 in the morning, I heard a man's voice in my room, specifically my neighbor Andy's voice. The dogs were going crazy, barking their heads off and poor Andy was awkwardly standing in my doorway, "Meagan, Meagan. Wake up. Your blood sugar is low. Osman called me because you wouldn't answer." At first I was thinking, "dang it, I fell asleep again." Side note, I am notorious for being the old lady who falls asleep whenever we hang out with our good friends, Andy and Brady. I finally realized what in the world is going on. I thanked Andy profusely for being such a good friend and I ate some skittles to get my blood sugar back in range. I checked my phone and sure enough, several missed calls from Osman, texts from him, a call from Brady. Total Meagan fail.

All I have to say is, thank goodness for my husband who loves me, Dexcom's technology and good friends that are willing to come over and save the day. Osman was able to open the garage from his phone and turn on lights so it didn't look like Andy was breaking in. Technology is so great.

So things I learned for when the hubs is out of town:
1) Keep my phone on LOUD
2) Change my Dexcom settings to alert me if my blood sugar is 70, instead of 50.
3) Did I mention, keep my phone on loud?

Looking back, my heart is full of gratitude for so many things. This could have been so much worse. I don't even want to think of the what ifs. Although, it is nice to be at that point I can laugh at diabetes every now and then. It takes a village, even as a grown up.

I am thoroughly looking forward to summer break. I hope to write more. As an incentive, I moved my desk to the window so I can enjoy looking outside while writing. We have also lived in Georgia THREE years now. Historically, when we hit the three year mark in a home, I have to rearrange furniture, but that is probably a whole other blog post.

Here's to taking it 1 Drop at a Time with my phone on loud.

This is a picture of my perfectly staged writing area, sunlight and all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of Chronic Illness

Diagnosis Day: 8/14/15

Pump Life