I LOVE TECHNOLOGY

Today was one of the best days. My friend texted about going to Rush to let the kids jump, and boy, I think I had more fun than Jacob. Rush, in Athens, GA, is basically a big room with a bunch of trampolines. It took me back to summer days in Pocahontas, Arkansas jumping for hours upon hours with my cousins until we were completely exhausted or the mosquitoes almost ate us alive.

After we were done, or should I say kicked out because toddler time was over, I was scrolling through my email when I came across some of the best news I have seen in awhile. Come August, I will be able to download a software upgrade on my current t:slim X2 pump. The new upgrade will require a Dexcom G6 BUT this new technology will predict low blood sugars 30 minutes prior to the low occurring. The pump will shut off basal insulin until your blood sugar starts increasing again. Here is the direct link from Tandem: t:slim X2 Insulin Pump with Basal-IQ

So what all does this mean? Well for starters, this means when I'm sleeping alone, my husband won't have to worry about overnight low blood sugars. Especially when his super smart wife with diabetes, leaves her phone on silent with her blood sugar dropping. She does not hear her phone ding, so he has to send the neighbors into her bedroom in the middle of the night to wake her up. Yes you read that right, if you'd like the full story, check it out here: That one time my blood sugar was low...

I also struggle with lows in the morning, especially during mornings while getting ready for work. There are several times a year that I have to wait until my blood sugar rises before driving. This, of course, happens on days I need to attend an important meeting or have a parent coming to the clinic to drop off meds.

Hormones greatly affect my blood sugars. There will be times of insulin resistance, which means I use a lot more insulin, but those times will then transition into insulin sensitivity where I don't need as much insulin and in turn bring on a  LOT of scary lows. This Basal-IQ gives me a safety net to catch them without having to correct with a bunch of sugar.

I'm going to try and remind myself, when I'm failing to take life 1 Drop at a Time that there are countless researchers/developers out there trying to make life for people with diabetes so much better. There is hope in every dayI just have to look for the light.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of Chronic Illness

Diagnosis Day: 8/14/15

Pump Life