The Bracelet Debacle

Well it has been a week since Diagnosis Day. My goal was to get my fasting blood sugar under 110 and I succeeded this morning with an 86. Thank you Levemir! Funny thing is, since my fasting blood sugars have been running near 200, this cool 86 made me feel bad! Go figure. And this brings me to the topic of low blood sugar readings. They scare the living crap out of me. I am a control freak, and when I start to feel my fingers shake and my palms sweat, like they did on my first date with Osman, I start to get a little panicked. I haven't had any lows in awhile and I am beginning to realize how much the high blood sugars have been ironically nice. My biggest fear is that I will be with Jacob, pass out, and he will be left helpless and so will I. Which then brings me to the question I have been asking myself all week, "to get a medical alert bracelet or to not get a bracelet, that is the question...."

Herein lies the rapid neuron fires of Meagan's brain:

-Remember the episode of Friend's, where Joey gives Chandler this gaudy, gold bracelet he can't stand? Well I'm Chandler in this scenario, facial expression and all....




-I feel like when/if I get one, I will also be required to wear a life alert necklace, only one button push away from help.

-Does getting this bracelet mean that T1D really does define me? 


But then I think of Jacob and I know it is the responsible thing to do. I know I would tell my patients,  in the event something bad were to happen, it would probably be best to wear one. But then again, nurses are the worst patients. 

I've searched Etsy, Amazon, eBay, James Avery, there are some desecrate, not so flashy contenders. I know it is better to be safe than sorry. It is just too bad a nice, big, diamond solitaire in the 2-3 carat range doesn't symbolize diabetes, because you know I would be all over that. 1 Drop at a Time.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of Chronic Illness

Diagnosis Day: 8/14/15

Pump Life