Treading Water

I believe I skipped a couple weeks of blogs but we were on vacation. It was nice to get away and soak up the sun. I won't lie, I was moderately mopey about going to the beach because I wasn't sure how taking my pump off to swim would work. I've been reading the latest edition of Pumping Insulin and was happy to find a chart with suggestions on how to bolus insulin if you are off your pump. 30 minutes requires no bolus, but if you know you will be off your pump for 1-4 hours, give 80%  of your missed basal. Y'all it worked without a hitch. I floated, rode waves and felt like a kid again.

*Basal-the insulin that runs in the background 24/7
*Bolus-insulin you give to cover carbs or in this case, missed basal insulin

That being said, I feel like I have more or less fallen off the giving a shit about diabetes train. I've basically been treading water, ignoring all those little tips and tricks I learned over the past few years, you know, being a diabetes rebel.

Fortunately, as dorky as this is, the sight of new school supplies reminded me that it is time to get in gear. A new school year is quickly approaching and do I really want to feel like constant poo with all the blood sugar swings, which bring on self loathing? Heck no. I don't know what is worse the physical blah or the mental barrage of negativity.

I woke up today, started logging ALL my damn meals in My Fitness Pal, so I know exactly how many carbs I am eating. I'm playing around with boluses and watching trends. I have more control over this disease than I was acknowledging and just kind of forgotten that notion. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired and sad and cranky and I'm ready to wear my big girl pants again.

I do have some super exciting news. I called my medical supply company today and ordered my Dexcom G6. There is always that awkward small talk with the rep as things process but he reminded me about so many of the neat features of the G6. I completely forgot this means no more finger sticks. Maybe my dream of being a hand model can come true again...(totally joking).

So yeah, diabetes totally sucks but life totally sucks when you let diabetes suck so I'm done with that and will try my best to control what I can, pretty sure I've written that line before. So I'll be taking it 1 Drop at a Time while trying to listen to my own advice. Insert massive eye-roll if you will.


Comments

  1. I am thankful for your honest blogging and truth telling. I am inspired by you and am reminded of what a resource you are. Is that Hawaii in the background of this picture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of Chronic Illness

Diagnosis Day: 8/14/15

Pump Life