Reminiscing

A year ago today, I got one of the best calls. I had an interview for a School Nurse position. As a look back on this year, I can’t believe it is coming to a close. One year of School Nursing has taught me more than I ever learned in college. I saw students with chronic illness champion their way through days that would break the strongest adult. I’ve given out band aids for invisible cuts and ice for bumps that happened because a table just happened to jump out and bite their leg. There have been critical situations that brought me back to my hospital days. I’ve cried and laughed, had my heart broken,  but I can honestly say this has been the best year of my nursing career. Every day I see teachers mold the lives of so many students and if you haven’t thanked a teacher this week, please do! They deserve a whole year of appreciation. 

Nick Jonas, yes the guy from the Jonas Brothers, recently won a Hero award for all he has done in the Type 1 Community. He said that his biggest challenge brought him the biggest opportunities, and it is so true. I think they say it is the breaks and cracks that let the most light in. Not to say as a person with chronic illness, I am broken, but some days it feels that way and I have to work extra hard to see that light. School Nursing has allowed me to focus on that light so much more. 

I still haven’t figured out how to not get cranky before my endocrinologist visits but once I get to the appointment, it is like catching up with an old friend. I feel very fortunate to have such a good working relationship with my doctor. This last visit, I was more worried about getting on the scale than my A1C. The dreaded weight talk is never any fun.  I thought I’d discovered the perfect solution to tighter BG control in the form of High Fat and Low Carb, Almond Meal Pancakes. Gosh my graphs looked pretty, but my weight started creeping up. I love my endo though. He very graciously brought up my weight gain. I’ve stopped the Almond Meal Pancakes and the weight is starting to drop some. My BG’s fluctuate a little more, but my Type A-self, sure enjoyed those pretty graphs while they lasted. However, the tighter pants, I did not like so much. 

I feel as though diabetes is defining me less and just becoming a part of life. It is has been a good mentor and given me the opportunity to really find what is important to me. I’ve got a couple recipes to share, but I figured I’d blab away first. Hope everyone is doing well and living by their version of 1 Drop at a Time. 


Comments

  1. Hi Meagan! My son is now 16years old. My story is very, very, similar to yours. I was also diagnosed as a gestational diabetic and definitely didn't fit the profile. My son also saved my life. As the years passed, at some point in my life, I learned to accept having diabetes. That is when I truly, began to live freely, again. I've read your blogs and completely relate to your feelings. When I read them, it sounded/sounds exactly like me. I can't express the deep connection I feel towards you. I always tell everyone, that I believe, every illness has its phases. One day, you reach the last phase, which is acceptance. When you reach the acceptance phase, you fly like the eagle you once were, before the diagnosis and realize you're still that eagle. My quote, “Nutrition is the key to our longevity and the resilience to our youth." God Bless and Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for your comment! It is always great to find kindred spirits in this world. I hope you continue to do well! Take care :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of Chronic Illness

Diagnosis Day: 8/14/15

Pump Life