That Quiet Voice

I don't think it has quite sunk in that one branch of my nursing journey is coming to a close. For almost five years, I have worked in the hospital setting. It hasn't always been easy, but it is a time in my life, I will always hold close to my heart. I had the opportunity to take care of America's veterans, athletes, and people from all walks of life. While chatting with my patients during nursing care, I have seen the world through their eyes and learned so many life lessons. Being a bedside nurse is so much more than following orders and passing medications. I will miss it so much. 

In nursing school, I had the opportunity to follow a school nurse. I quietly fell in love with the job, but knew I first wanted to pursue bedside nursing. 

Diabetes has encouraged me to take avenues I would have never dreamt of. It has simultaneously made me fearful and fearless. Recently, that quiet voice in my heart started getting louder and louder. One day, after a Google search, I came across a School Nurse vacancy at a local school district. I applied, got super excited, and then heard nothing but crickets for two months. To say I wasn't totally disappointed would be a lie.

Well two months after my submission, I got an interview. After a long weekend of waiting, I got the call that I would be a school nurse for an elementary and middle school! I would even have some students with T1D. 

As hard as it is to say goodbye to bedside care, I am so looking forward to this new journey as a school nurse. I can't wait to be in the midst of growing minds and try my best to keep everyone healthy and happy. I'm nervous but excited to take things, 1 Drop at a Time, in a little bit of a different way. 

In the ever wise words of Jack, an 89 year cyclist who just happens to have T1D, 

"Carry on a normal life,” he says. “Get into something you like to do and do it well.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of Chronic Illness

Diagnosis Day: 8/14/15

Pump Life