Adventure Awaits!

First, I have to divulge in my embarrassing, online for the whole world to read, moment. I write blog posts from my phone or my iPad. Well too many electronic device options, plus thinking you saved your edited work and then submitting your roughly written piece, that was NOT edited, for the world to see....Embarrassing! Lesson learned folks, if I think I edited/checked my work enough, NOPE! Go back and quintuple check your work, Meagan! Fortunately I caught my error and was able to make some necessary adjustments, but jeez! Makes me shiver with embarrassment.

9 years ago, I was of the ever tender age of 18, and preparing to take a journey overseas. I struck a deal with my parents, that if I graduated a year early from High School, for a semester, I could study abroad in Spain. I was so excited. It had always been my dream to speak fluent Spanish and see the world.

Well the day came to say, "Until we meet again America," and I was devastated. Oh teenage angst was a terrible thing. I was scared to death, homesick, and I kinda met this guy before I left, he ended up being a little more than fling, considering we are married and have 2 dogs and a child. Now let me remind you, that these were the days, if you wanted to "FaceTime," you had to use a web-cam and wear this super cute headset. I was still rocking a razor cell phone and there was no such thing as iMessage. Poor Osman spent an undisclosed amount on calling cards, where you had to dial about 50 numbers before dialing the number you actually wanted to call.

As hard as it was to be away from my family, friends and my beau, I had the time of my life. I stayed with a wonderful family, the Vila-Lorente's: Gustavo, Imma, Mar, Gustau, Laia and their turtle Paf. We lived in a tiny town, in a home right by an orange orchard. In the summer, we moved to their beach apartment, right in front of the Mediterranean Ocean. I could go on and on about my time there. At 18, it was the biggest risk I had ever taken, but with big risk comes great reward.

Ah nostalgia...Well, this morning, I get an email from my Spanish Family. Gustavo and Imma are planning a trip for their oldest daughter, Mar. This summer, she we be living with us for a couple months. I won't lie, I feel a little old that this is happening. I remember sharing coffee one morning with Imma, and we spoke of what the future might hold, and how it would be so fun for her kids to come stay with me. Well here is that moment in time.

It made me realize how fast life goes. Remembering my time in Spain ignited that light of wanderlust I hold in my soul. In the T1D Instagram community, I see fellow TID's live their lives with no limits. I envy them more than words can describe. It is funny to say, but it takes a lot of courage for me to go shopping at Target with Jacob. I'm still getting the handle of things. Between all the things that he needs and all the pieces that I require, it is quite a comical site. However, this gives me hope that somewhere deep down, old Meagan is still there. The care free girl, ready for the next adventure. I can't keep letting diabetes slow down my life and make decisions for me. I guess the first step is to acknowledge it. So here's to more adventures. I need to have a little more faith in all of the tools that modern day technology have provided me. Most of all, I have so much to be grateful for, especially the unconditional love and support I receive from you all. I want my son to never question an adventure. I want him to live life without the fears of what if's. I worry enough about those for the both of us. That's what moms are for, right?!  Anyhow, adventure awaits! If I can remember to take it 1 Drop at a Time, it shouldn't be that scary.


No trip down memory lane is complete without some pictures...






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of Chronic Illness

Diagnosis Day: 8/14/15

Pump Life