Happy New Year!

The holidays are winding down. My rather large fluctuations in BG readings are leveling off and I'm looking to the new year with anticipation. 

A year ago, today, Osman and I were nervously killing time, waiting to go in to be induced. We had a fancy lunch, walked around the mall. I was so excited to see the boy I'd been carrying, but so sad to have to share him with the world. It was definitely one of the most contradictory times of my life. I went into labor with the hope that all the blood sugar testing and fretting would come to an end, as gestational diabetes is supposed to "go away" with birth. I remember being thrilled to see "regular diet" on my discharge papers. I indulged in pizza and birthday cake for days after Jake's birth.  

But reality set in with my HgbA1C was pre-diabetic and fortunately I was blessed with a hyper-vigilant OB doc who referred me to an endocrinologist, who ran the tests and said I would become type 1, but was in the "honeymoon" phase. Looking back, I knew I felt like I couldn't handle what laid ahead, but now I know that I am so much more capable of what I thought I could handle. We all are. 

So that is why I look to 2016 with excitement. The limits I have set for myself are only restricted by a glass ceiling. I plan to run again, hopefully my first half marathon. I have discovered that the human body can function on a lot less sleep than previously thought and every day challenges are just a part of the journey. 

So bring it on 2016. Here's to a happy and healthy new year for us all! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of Chronic Illness

Diagnosis Day: 8/14/15

Pump Life