I’ve been doing it all wrong....

Hi all! It has been far too long but I can’t say I’ve had the writing bug in awhile. It is way past my bedtime, but this School Nurse is on break. I feel like a kid again. The season just seems a little more magical with these days to reflect and catch my breath.

T1D has been ridiculously difficult for me the past few weeks. Between lows that would just not come up and highs that won’t budge, it has been frustrating, embarrassing and just plain old annoying. So I’m looking forward to the longer evenings with family and friends, full of Christmas Movies, baking, game playing, you know the drill.

Today, I found myself on the way to Atlanta with a few fellow nurses. A few weeks ago we had the bright idea to sign up for a Diabetes Caregiver class on the first day of Winter Break. I started the morning off with a quick insulin pump site change, that was almost a disaster because my medical supply company sent the wrong supplies, AGAIN. However, I found a rogue piece of equipment hidden in one of my travel bags. Thank you past Meagan for throwing an inset in that random bag. So crisis averted. The car ride to ATL was per usual, the traffic was terrible but the company was great and it was so cathartic to decompress with collegues/friends.

We made it to the class and I honestly thought, this will be a nice review but nothing more. Boy, was I wrong. About 2-3 hours into the class, we started talking about carb counting. Y’all. I’m so embarrassed, I’ve been counting carbs wrong. Yes, you read that right. The way I was taught a few years ago has now changed and I had NO idea. These five minutes of class, changed so much for me. This was definitely the perfect aligning of happenstance and I’m so thankful.

I am hopeful that this will help my highs. I am also a little scared because this means all of my current settings may be a little higher than they should be. BUT I have Winter Break and plenty of goodies around to treat a low while I try to get my life figured out.

Today makes me wonder what else I’ve been doing wrong? May it be revealed, 1 Drop at a Time, because my mind was so blown today. I think I am only capable of, “holy heck, what?!” once a day.

So if you are interested in the technicalities of my mind blowing, let me explain. Basically, I have been taking the Total Carb subtracting Dietary Fiber to get my Net Carb. I used this Net Carb number to calculate my insulin dosage from. However, I learned today to just take that Total Carb and use that for my number to calculate my insulin dosage. BUT, there is always a BUT in Diabetes, if the Fiber is greater than 5g you take half of the total fiber and subtract it from the Total Carb. BOOM. I still can’t believe this. Let me know if you have any questions.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of Chronic Illness

Diagnosis Day: 8/14/15

Pump Life